Domestic abuse is a crime that has often been hidden and is difficult to uncover. It is a widespread and underreported public health issue. Domestic abuse is a preventable crime that has wide reaching effects for the individual and the communities in which they live. It can lead to physical and psychological health impacts and contribute to intergenerational cycles of trauma. The estimated cost of domestic abuse in England, including physical and mental health costs, is £66 billion per year (Home Office, 2019).
Domestic abuse is a highly gendered crime, with the majority of those experiencing abuse being women. However, among boys and men who do experience domestic abuse, there is a deficient uptake of support services. In addition, figures may be underreported due to a variety of reasons. In City & Hackney young people, women, people from a mixed ethnic background, people with a disability and LGBTQ+ people are more likely to experience domestic abuse.
Below you can find a number of documents identifying the local population needs. Please note that this list will be updated as and when the new information becomes available.
Hackney and the City of London reports
- Early Identification Domestic Abuse Needs Assessment 2022
- Female Genital Mutation: Report for Hackney, 2018 to 2023
Other local strategies and plans
- Hackney’s Violence Against Women and Girls (VAWG) Strategy (2019-2022) (new strategy imminent)
- City of London (2019) Violence Against Women and Girls Strategy (2019-2023)
- Mayor’s VAWG Strategy: A Safer City for women and girls. The London tackling violence against women and girls strategy (2018-2021) (new strategy imminent)
- MOPAC: A Safer City for All Londoners: Police and crime plan (2017-2021)
- London Assembly, Police and Crime Committee (2020) Domestic abuse
- HM Government, Ending violence against women and girls action plan 2016-2020: progress update.
- HM Government, Ending violence against women and girls strategy 2016-2020
- HMICFRS, The police response to domestic abuse: an update report 2019.
- Safe Lives, Policy and evidence resources
- Women’s Aid, Research and publications
- Imkaan, Research and publications
- Galop, Domestic abuse resources
- HM government, FGM resource pack 2022
- National FGM Centre, Information and resources